It’s no secret that the majority of users multiscreen when they’re home. Between televisions, computers, and mobile devices, the average consumer has quite the plethora of screens to choose from. But how distracted are they, and how can publishers & advertisers retain their attention amid the noise? A recent study by Adobe may have some answers.
In the study, 83% of the over 12,000 respondents admitted that they engage in multiscreen viewing. On average, these consumers use 2.23 devices at the same time. While using two to three devices at the same time seems like it would be distracting or stressful, it isn’t for the majority of users.
In fact, when multiscreening:
- 81% feel entertained
- 80% feel connected
- 76% feel productive
Meanwhile, only 47% admitted to feeling distracted by the behavior. Interestingly, millennials were the most affected, with 50% of them admitting distraction. Meanwhile, only 44% of Gen Xers and Baby Boomers reported becoming distracted when multiscreening.
With nearly half of users distracted by multiscreening, the pressure to captivate users is higher than ever. As such, publishers and advertisers must take an honest look at their content and determine if it follows the rules of engagement and avoids common pitfalls. In particular, content must have the following attributes if it is to thrive in today’s multiscreen reality:
- Content must be delivered seamlessly. 89% of users will switch devices or stop viewing altogether when coming across issues with content.
- Content must load quickly. 78% of mobile users will turn away from content that takes too long to load.
- Content must be snackable. 67% of mobile users are turned off by content that’s too long.
- Content must be optimized for mobile. 79% of mobile users turn away from content that doesn’t display well on their current device.
Join the Conversation
How has your content adapted to engage multiscreen viewing? Where do you see it shifting this year? Tweet your thoughts to @AdColony. For the latest AdColony mobile news and updates, follow @AdColony on Twitter, like us on Facebook, or connect on Linkedin.
- Rewarding to Engage: New Mobile User Survey Results Now Available - March 28, 2018
- Mobile Monday: Mixed Reality Promotion, Seriously Connected Fans, & FCC Acceleration - March 26, 2018
- Mobile Monday: GDC 2018 - March 19, 2018