In this edition of Mobile Monday, we’re getting reading for Advertising Week as well as taking a look at the types of live digital video content most likely to appeal to consumers.
Advertising Week New York
Advertising Week New York kicks off today at numerous venues throughout NYC. While the actual calendar of events may be a bit hectic to navigate, the events and sessions that are the most intriguing for those in mobile include:
- Scaling Branded Visual Content Creation for Digital & Social Channels — 3:45 Tuesday
- Native Ad Forum — 10:15am Wednesday
- The Current State of Play in Data-Driven Advertising — 11:15am Wednesday
- How to Become a Video First Business — 11:15am Thursday
- Masters of Monetizing Content — 12:45pm Thursday
Video’s Live Appeal
Recently, eMarketer released its Q3 2017 Digital Video Trends report. While many of the stats contained within weren’t too surprising — mobile video is growing leaps and bounds, display is growing modestly, television has effectively flatlined, etc — one chart was particularly noteworthy: the types of live video content typically viewed by consumers.
In short, consumers are most apt to tune in for:
- Breaking news (24%)
- Videos from friends or family (23%)
- how-to videos (21%)
- Internet personalities (21%)
- Comedy (18%)
- Sports matches (17%)
- Local news (14%)
- Video game competitions (10%)
In a mobile ecosystem where continual engagement is key for user retention, knowing which types of content are most apt to lure a user back into an app is key for mobile publishers. From this report, it’s clear that videos are most interesting if they either offer new information (via breaking news, how-to-videos, or local news), are relatable (via friends or internet personalities), or offer a fun diversion (via comedic relief or competition).
About AdColony Mobile Mondays
Mobile Monday examines the latest news, trends, and developments in mobile apps, tech, and advertising. Do you have a story to share for the next Mobile Monday? Tweet it to @AdColony. For the latest AdColony mobile news and updates, follow @AdColony on Twitter, like us on Facebook, or connect on Linkedin.
- Rewarding to Engage: New Mobile User Survey Results Now Available - March 28, 2018
- Mobile Monday: Mixed Reality Promotion, Seriously Connected Fans, & FCC Acceleration - March 26, 2018
- Mobile Monday: GDC 2018 - March 19, 2018