In this edition of the Creative Showcase, we’re taking a look into the story behind Buffalo Wild Wings’ recent Aurora™ HD video campaign.
Eating buffalo wings is a fun albeit messy experience. To remind consumers of the joy of the Buffalo Wild Wings dining experience, BWW sought to create a mobile video ad experience that was truly fun and engaging. This is where our creative team at Skylab stepped in.
Let’s see it in action from beginning to end:
Why It Works
By creating an interactive ad experience where consumers are invited to play with their food, both focused attention and engagement are maximized. Additionally, the ad creative follows a number of mobile video advertising best practices, including:
- Quick cuts. To maintain user interest, the video cuts quickly between shots, often with only 1 to 2 seconds between cuts. The only exception to this is at the 7 second mark when users are invited to engage, as the instructions here remain on the screen long enough to be processed & illicit a response.
- Invitation to engage. Text is used somewhat sparingly in this ad, with the first on-screen copy being directions to “tap to catch the FooDoo doll before he escapes”. This ensures that even users who have their device volume low or muted will know when and how to interact with the ad.
- Immediate feedback. When a consumer interacts with the ad, there is an immediate response with both audio and visual feedback. This gives the consumer a better sense that they are in control of their ad experience.
- Focus on characters. While the use of live action is to be expected for a hospitality industry ad, the use of the animated FooDoo doll helps provide a colorful star to the creative that makes BWW stand out from other restaurant ads.
- Emotional appeal. By teasing the user for their actions during the video and inviting them to rebuild the FooDoo doll within the Dynamic End Card, the ad employs an emotional appeal that ties engagement with the video to engagement with the brand via the “Blazin’ Rewards” loyalty program.
About Buffalo Wild Wings
Buffalo Wild Wings is an American casual dining restaurant and sports bar franchise with over 1200 locations around the world with locations in the US, Canada, Mexico, the Philippines, the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, and Oman. The chain, affectionately referred to as B-Dubs by its regulars, specializes in buffalo wings and sauces.
Join the Conversation
The AdColony Creative Showcase examines what makes top performing mobile ad creative successful. How do you optimize your mobile video creative? Tweet us at @AdColony. For the latest AdColony mobile news and updates, follow @AdColony on Twitter, like us on Facebook, or connect on Linkedin.
- Rewarding to Engage: New Mobile User Survey Results Now Available - March 28, 2018
- Mobile Monday: Mixed Reality Promotion, Seriously Connected Fans, & FCC Acceleration - March 26, 2018
- Mobile Monday: GDC 2018 - March 19, 2018