Acquiring quality users at scale isn’t easy, and mobile marketers often turn to multiple advertising partners to meet their campaign KPIs. To help advertisers find the best partners, mobile attribution company AppsFlyer regularly publishes their indexes of the top ad platforms.
Today, the company released their H1 2017 Performance Index, wherein AdColony was ranked as the #4 partner at delivering campaign ROI as well as #5 in the non-gaming power ranking and #8 in the gaming power ranking.
The index evaluated 250 media networks that delivered a minimum of 20,000 installs for AppsFlyer clients in the first half of 2017. In total, over 6 billion installs for over 5,500 apps were analyzed alongside over 80 billion user sessions.
How We Ranked
As it stands, any partner to attain a spot on the top 25 list for any category is already in the top 10% of the industry’s significant players, which is why we are particularly pleased that AdColony has earned:
- #4 in the ROI Index globally for iOS
- #4 in the ROI Index globally for Android
- #5 in the Non-Gaming Power Ranking globally
- #8 in the Gaming Power Ranking globally
- North America
- #6 in the Gaming Power Ranking for North America on Android
- #8 in the Gaming Power Ranking for North America on iOS
- #12 in the Non-Gaming Power Ranking for North America on Android
- #6 in the Non-Gaming Power Ranking for North America on iOS
- #5 in the Gaming Power Ranking for LATAM on Android
- #6 in the Gaming Power Ranking for LATAM on iOS
- Eastern Europe
- #7 in the Gaming Power Ranking for Eastern Europe on Android
- #5 in the Gaming Power Ranking for Eastern Europe on iOS
- Western Europe
- #7 in the Gaming Power Ranking for Western Europe on Android
- #8 in the Gaming Power Ranking for Western Europe on iOS
- #7 in the Non-Gaming Power Ranking for Western Europe on Android
- Southeast Asia
- #7 in the Gaming Power Ranking for Southeast Asia on Android
- #7 in the Gaming Power Ranking for Southeast Asia on iOS
- Indian Subcontinent
- #4 in the Gaming Power Ranking for the Indian subcontinent on Android
- Pacific Asia
- #7 in the Gaming Power Ranking for North Pacific Asia on Android
- #9 in the Gaming Power Ranking for North Pacific Asia on iOS
About the Power Ranking
In short, the Power Ranking examines both quality and scale of installs. To generate the Power Ranking, AppsFlyer normalized the number of clean (fraud-free) installs generated by each partner in addition to its clean quality score, combining these two factors. From here, fraud penalties were applied to the score based on the network’s fraud rate for the region in question.
About the ROI Index
To find the true ROI of each network, AppsFlyer took the clean ROI figure for each network and factored in an additional fraud penalty based on the network’s poaching fraud rate. The networks were then ranked based on the true ROI they deliver.
Several lessons can be taken from AppsFlyer’s study. First, the fact that the Power Ranking now directly accounts for fraud in its rankings is a testament to the importance of choosing a trustworthy ad provider. After all, as AppsFlyer points out in the report, app install fraud is expected to cost advertisers between $2.2 and $2.6 billion USD in 2017.
Video is still extremely powerful. As AppsFlyer states in the report:
“The fact that video ads can offer users a real glimpse into the app through an ad leaves far less room for surprises – a great way to filter out potentially low quality users. As a result marketers, especially in gaming, invest in this format.”
Finally, another interesting insight from the report is that gaming marketers use fewer ad networks than their non-gaming counterparts. Indeed, non-gaming mobile advertisers used 2.5 times as many partners to acquire users than gaming advertisers. Why? As AppsFlyer explains, it comes down to the global nature of games:
“Gaming is more global in nature, and therefore directs marketers toward networks with global inventory. Non-gaming, on the other hand, is more local in nature, as marketers choose both local and global media partners.”
About the Index
The AppsFlyer Performance Index launched in 2015 and is considered by many as the industry standard for ranking media sources in mobile advertising. While their methodology for ranking partners has shifted a bit over the editions, the emphasis has always been on ranking partners based on their ability to deliver on the KPIs that mobile marketers care most about.
Join the Conversation
What’s your user acquisition strategy? Tweet your thoughts to @AdColony. For the latest AdColony mobile news and updates, follow @AdColony on Twitter, like us on Facebook, or connect on Linkedin.
- Rewarding to Engage: New Mobile User Survey Results Now Available - March 28, 2018
- Mobile Monday: Mixed Reality Promotion, Seriously Connected Fans, & FCC Acceleration - March 26, 2018
- Mobile Monday: GDC 2018 - March 19, 2018