In this week’s Mobile Monday, we’re taking a look at the most anticipated news at one of our favorite events of the year: GDC.
Last week, our GDC preview shared a few of the sessions we were most excited about, including:
- Become the GOAT of the Mobile Gaming Business — Wednesday, March 21st, 9:30-10:30am (Room 2020, West Hall)
- Mobile App Monetization Innovations in 2018: The Impact of Header Bidding Technology — Thursday, March 22nd, 12:45-1:45pm (Room 3009, West Hall)
- Next Generation Playable Ads — Thursday, March 22nd, 4-5pm (Room 2011, West Hall)
- Loot Box: How to Strike Gold through Licensed Consumer Products — Friday, March 23rd, 10-11am (Room 2000, West Hall)
Atari is creating a buzz this week as game industry folks are awaiting a chance to test out the new Ataribox at the show. As Michael Andronico pondered, it’s unclear whether the device is the “next SNES classic, or just another piece of vaporware”.
Either way, its existence is yet further proof that the market is hungry for nostalgia inducing items like this (and the banana phone).
As developers increasingly look for more ways to keep users engage, that search often includes a discussion about seamless cross-platform play. For smaller mobile developers, it becomes a question of how they might expand their mobile titles to be available on even more devices.
To aid in these efforts, both Microsoft and Nintendo are hosting showcases that Andronico projects will include the announcement of many smaller titles making their moves to console and PC.
One of the appeals — and challenges — of designing a game for a mobile device is its unique interactivity. The touch screen coupled with motion sensors makes relatively advanced user input feel rather intuitive, and developers have crafted truly engaging play experiences as a result.
In celebration of rethinking engagement and interactivity norms, a section of the show floor at GDC dubbed Alt.Ctrl.GDC will feature games that rethink the controller.
About AdColony Mobile Mondays
Mobile Monday examines the latest news, trends, and developments in mobile apps, tech, and advertising. Do you have a story to share for the next Mobile Monday? Tweet it to @AdColony. For the latest AdColony mobile news and updates, follow @AdColony on Twitter, like us on Facebook, or connect on Linkedin.
- Rewarding to Engage: New Mobile User Survey Results Now Available - March 28, 2018
- Mobile Monday: Mixed Reality Promotion, Seriously Connected Fans, & FCC Acceleration - March 26, 2018
- Mobile Monday: GDC 2018 - March 19, 2018