One of the fastest growing audiences in the United States are people who play video games — of all kinds, but especially mobile. Although there are many stereotypes around gamers, we’ve learned in recent years that the audience is diversifying. As the gaming population grows rapidly, it’s important that developers and their advertisers understand the individual markets’ gaming behaviors.
In our Under the Microscope series, we survey mobile gamers from regions across the globe to see the common threads and differences across audiences. Our most recent entry in the series looked into mobile players in France. This month we’re taking a look at gamers from the United States. A recent study indicated that 65% of adults in the United States play video games. Additionally, approximately 60% of those players prefer to use their smartphone. Here are some highlights from our survey to help you better understand mobile gamers in the United States:
Highlights from the United States
- 62% of mobile gamers in the United States are female
- 59% of American users play games on their device several times per day
- Typical gaming sessions occur late at night (8 pm – 12 am)
- 27% look at mobile ads for mobile games to download
- Top types of games played include card, puzzle, word, and casino
- 93% selected “home” as the location they typically play mobile games
- 88% prefer to watch video ads for extra lives and/or in-game content
Click the image for a full-size version!
Other Under the Microscope Infographics
Wondering how mobile gamers in the United States compare to those elsewhere? We’ve got you covered with reports from all over the world and more coming! From France to Japan, Germany to China, and beyond we’ve got you covered. You can check out all of the Under the Microscope infographics here or you can check our global survey to see the worldwide results!
Join the Conversation
What do you have in common with mobile gamers from the United States? Tweet us at @AdColony. For the latest AdColony mobile news and updates, follow @AdColony on Twitter, like us on Facebook, or connect on Linkedin.
- Mobile Monday: Apple’s Effect on Snap Revenue, Android 12’s Privacy Features, App Reviews’ Impact on Retention - October 25, 2021
- Apps versus Websites: Mobile Gamers Shift to In-App Ads and Purchasing - October 19, 2021
- Mobile Monday: The Effects of Apple’s Privacy Changes, In-game Advertising’s Untapped Potential, Mobile Time Spent on the Rise - October 17, 2021