AdColony was built on transparency from our inception as one of the first mobile ad networks devoted to helping game developers monetize their apps, and grow through user acquisition campaigns. We’re changing how our [APP_ID] macro works to continue to provide more transparency to our advertisers.
This will increase our interoperability across the mobile advertising ecosystem. This is a reflection of us adopting the IAB Tech Lab Open Real-Time Bidding (oRTB) standards.
These changes will be live beginning August 1st, 2021.
Currently, [APP_ID] evaluates to a SHA1 hash of an App ID on the AdColony network. This ID represents the app. Starting August 1st, 2021, [APP_ID] will function the same way as the [STORE_ID] macro and the two will be able to be used interchangeably.
All [APP_ID] macros will need to migrate app targeting to utilize [BUNDLE_ID] on Android and [MARKET_ID] on iOS. To keep things simple, support for [ZONE_ID] macros to target specific app zones will be unaffected.
Because your jobs are busy enough, we’re making this change as straightforward as possible for our advertisers. AdColony has already updated all tracking URLs to contain both [APP_ID] and [STORE_ID] macros so that advertisers can take advantage of the additional transparency [STORE_ID] offers.
Why is this Happening
The bundle ID is a platform-specific application identifier that is unique for each app and present within the store URL. This gives advertisers a consistent identifier that can be used to identify apps across all of their ad providers and provides full transparency on which apps and advertisers are bidding on.
Advertisers using our [APP_ID] macro may need to migrate their existing app hash data to app bundle IDs. Advertisers can use our mapping table to perform this migration. If you have any questions about this process, please email your AdColony account manager.
- On Android, the identifier is the app package name: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.adcolony.dogfood.solitaire&hl=en_US&gl=US
- On iOS, this is a numeric identifier: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/imahjong/id300535701. This is the same as the source-app-id identifier ad networks and advertisers receive from Apple SKAdNetwork postbacks.
- On Amazon, this is an alphanumeric identifier: https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-com-Amazon-Appstore/dp/B071NZZHF9/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=amazon+app&qid=1624659251&sr=8-1
All of our documentation for advertisers and publishers can be found on our support portal at support.adcolony.com. If you have any additional questions about these changes, please contact your AdColony account manager and we’ll be happy to walk you through these changes. If you’re not sure who your account manager is, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and they’ll be able to assist.
- Upcoming MMP Macro Changes - July 15, 2021
- AdColony Receives TAG Certified Against Fraud and Brand Safety Recertifications - March 18, 2021
- A Decade of AdColony III – Return of the Rocketship - March 5, 2021