We are officially in December, which means that the holiday shopping season is kicking into high gear. To better understand shoppers’ behaviors and preferences, AdColony conducted a survey across the Asia-Pacific region to discover how consumers will be shopping this holiday season.
As holiday shoppers gear up for celebrations, they are preparing for a season that will look noticeably different than a year ago. Gatherings with family and friends, bustling shopping malls, or even a getaway – consumers are starting to see more of these holiday rituals as possible again. Still, not everything will go back to the way it was before the pandemic. Shoppers have formed new habits and Covid-19 has prompted most people to spend the majority of their time at home, leading to a surge in mobile activity.
When it comes to shopping, consumers have chosen the convenience and safety of buying on their mobile devices. 81% of APAC consumers made an online purchase during the holiday season last year. The upcoming holiday season is expected to continue the upward trend of mobile shopping as well!
The APAC Holiday Shopping Survey asked respondents, aged 14 years old to over 54, sixteen questions about their shopping behaviors and preferences, and how their mobile device plays a role in the buying process. Below are some highlights from the survey, and don’t forget to download the full report and infographic for more stats:
Highlights from APAC
- Consumers remain upbeat about holiday shopping this year. – 56% of holiday shoppers plan to increase their online shopping this year, and 31% of them plan to spend as much as they did in 2020.
- Smartphones play an integral role in a consumer’s shopping journey. – 78% of consumers search for products or brands for holiday shopping via their smartphones or tablets. In addition, 76% of them have purchased something on their mobile device directly from an advertisement.
- Consumers expect to see personalized ads on their mobile devices. – 87% would purchase something on their mobile device directly from an advertisement if the product was relevant to them.
- Shoppers take action after seeing an ad that appeals to them. – 70% of consumers visited the brand’s website after seeing a mobile ad, 61% of them read product reviews, and 57% of them searched for the product online.
- Sales discounts are the most enticing trigger to get more users to purchase online. – When asked what promotional offers would entice their purchases most during the holiday season, 44% of consumers selected sales discounts, 28% selected bundle offers and 20% selected free gifts with purchase.
- Mobile gaming is the top entertainment activity this holiday season. – As mobile gaming became part of our daily lives during the pandemic, there are no signs of this slowing down during Christmas. 54% of users in the Asia-Pacific region chose mobile gaming as their top entertainment activity to relax and have fun this Christmas.
Check out the infographic below for more great insights and click here to download the full report! Don’t forget to click on the infographic to open it full size!
About the Study
The AdColony Holiday Shopping Survey 2021 was distributed across Asia-Pacific and garnered over 700 responses. The survey asked respondents, aged 18 years old to over 54, sixteen questions about their shopping behaviors and preferences during the holiday season, and how their mobile device plays a role in the buying process.
Join the Conversation
What will you be shopping for this holiday season? Tell us what you’re looking forward to by tweeting @AdColony. For the latest AdColony mobile news and updates, follow @AdColony on Twitter, like us on Facebook, or connect on LinkedIn.
- Mobile Gaming Set to Dominate Ramadan this 2022 – EMEA & APAC - March 14, 2022
- Creative Showcase: Indomie - March 10, 2022
- Chinese New Year Holiday Shopping 2022 – Highlights from APAC - January 25, 2022