Site not loading correctly? Ad is in our name, because it's what we do. This may cause issues if you're using ad blockers, and we don't serve any ads on our site.
Please pause or disable your ad blocker for our domain.
The accessibility of data and smartphones has changed the way many cultures approach everyday tasks. This year, Japan’s smartphone penetration is 79% and is expected to reach 92% by 2025. Mobile devices are already vital to Japanese consumers’ shopping habits and car buying is no exception.
We wanted to identify what car-buying activities consumers use smartphones for, their interest in buying cars on their mobile devices, and how much they’re willing to interact with mobile ads as part of the process. AdColony conducted its Car Buying Survey in Japan and the results are in! Below are a few highlights from the study and be sure to scroll down for the infographic.
Highlights of the Study
- Consumers use a mix of devices to purchase or lease a car. — 33% of consumers use their smartphones the most.
- Smartphones are considered necessary to many consumers. — 48% of consumers say it is very important or important to have their smartphones with them while shopping for a car
- Online research leads to dealership visits. — More than 50% of consumers are very likely or likely to visit a dealership after researching for a car online.
- Consumers use mobile devices for many reasons. — The top 3 reasons are to compare prices, to research models/specs and to find dealerships.
- Auto ads are impactful. — 51% consider relevant auto ads when shopping for a car and 38% have clicked on an auto ad before.
- Mobile video ads are the “key.” — 59% consider watching and/or interacting with a video on a mobile device to explore models and features.
- Most Japanese consumers prefer to buy directly from car dealers. — Only 8% are interested in buying a car online and having it delivered to their homes.
Check out the infographic below for more great insight and click to open it full size! Don’t forget to download the Japanese language version as well!
About the Study
The AdColony Car Buying Survey was distributed in Japan and gained over 150 responses. Participants, which ranged from different 18 years of age to over 75, were asked a series of questions about car buying/leasing behaviors, dealership visits, ad engagement, and device usage in the purchasing process.
Join the Conversation
How do you use your mobile device when shopping for a car? Tweet us @AdColony_APAC. For the latest AdColony mobile news and updates, follow @AdColony on Twitter, like us on Facebook, or connect on Linkedin.