While the hustle and bustle of Christmas is hardly new, this season promises to be especially active. In the past few years, the Asia-Pacific region has played a big part in bolstering the continued growth of mobile device and app usage.
For this research, we sought to explore some of the spending activities and mobile gaming behaviors that define the Christmas season in APAC – in particular, the Philippines.
Christmas will take place on December 25 and Philippines is known for celebrating the longest Christmas season in the world; consumers will start shopping from the ‘Ber’ months, running from September to December, to prepare for the celebrations. With shops and businesses closed during the Christmas holiday, consumers will spend their time with family and friends, relax, and maybe play some mobile games!
To get ready for the upcoming Christmas season, we conducted the Christmas Shopping and Mobile Gaming Behavior Survey. The survey asked consumers questions regarding their shopping and mobile gaming preferences, particularly during Christmas. Advertisers looking to reach this audience during the Christmas period would need a strong strategy covering mobile and other emerging consumer behaviors.
Highlights from the Study
- Consumers spend more online during Christmas — 74% of consumers tend to spend more online on eCommerce websites and retailer apps during Christmas. 71% of consumers have a gifting budget of up to 20,000 PHP and 29% of consumers said they expect to spend more than 20,000 PHP for Christmas.
- 59% of consumers want the best of online and offline shopping — Comparing between both genders, 67% of female consumers prefer to shop both online and in-store during Christmas, as compared to 47% of male consumers who prefer the same.
- Mobile is the primary device to discover new brands and products — 78% of consumers stated that their mobile phone was the primary device used to discover new brands and products.
- Consumers love playing mobile games — 87% of consumers play mobile games for at least 10 min a day, at least once a week and are most active during the afternoon.
- Consumers love to give and receive accessories, food and beverage, and electronic gadgets — When it comes to buying a gift for loved ones, most shoppers like to give accessories. Another top gift choice is food and beverage, including non-alcoholic drinks, confectionary & desserts, and roasts & seafood. Electronic gadgets rank very closely behind.
Check out the infographic below for more great insight.
About the Study
Christmas Shopping and Mobile Gaming Behavior Survey asked Philippine consumers a series of easy-to-answer questions about Christmas shopping and mobile gaming revealing a generous amount regarding shopping and gaming during the festive season.
Join the Conversation
Have you started preparing for Christmas? Tweet your thoughts to @AdColony_APAC. For the latest AdColony mobile news and updates, follow @AdColony on Twitter, like us on Facebook, or connect on Linkedin.
- AdColony Mobile Gaming Survey 2020 After COVID-19 — Japan - May 27, 2020
- Publisher Spotlight: ABI Game Studio - May 26, 2020
- How to Optimize your Mobile App Monetization with AdColony - May 18, 2020