The holidays are coming! You know what that means — Consumers everywhere are getting ready to grab the best deals, not just for themselves, but for friends and family too. This time of year means big opportunity for brands to gain reach and mindshare, but understanding consumer behavior is the first step to engaging and eventually retaining them.
Curious about this exciting season, AdColony conducted a global Holiday Shopping Survey that reached over 2,000 people. This week, we’re looking at the results specifically from the U.S. and Canada, which provides lots of powerful insights that brands should pay attention to.
Highlights from the Study
- Holiday shoppers tend to be older — With all those grandparents, parents, aunts, and uncles looking to spoil their kids and grandkids, it comes as no surprise that about 70% of holiday shoppers are between 45 and 74 years old.
- Smartphones are the primary shopping tool — Almost half of consumers mostly use their smartphone to make online purchases. Another 59% shop with their mobile device most or all of the time compared to desktop.
- Mobile is secure, but there’s room to grow — About 70% of participants find mobile to be about the same in terms of security compared to shopping on desktop.
- There isn’t much difference between shopping in-app versus online browsers — Most consumers don’t have a preference between shopping in-app or in a browser, but if they absolutely had to choose, they’d go with in-app (35%).
- Consumers buy a ton of different things on their phones — From groceries to plane tickets, consumers will purchase almost everything through their smartphones. Top items include clothes, home goods, and books.
- People aren’t used to buying from ads, but they’re open to it — The majority of respondents claim that they have never purchased something on their mobile device directly from an ad. However, 66% also stated that they would if the product was relevant to them. Research firms and transparent advertisers can help brands bridge the gap between ad viewers and purchasers.
- Having your phone with you in-store is a must — It’s important to most consumers to have their mobile device with them while shopping in-store. What do they use it for? Everything from finding better deals and taking pictures, to looking up product reviews!
Click here to download the full report!
About the Study
The AdColony Holiday Shopping Survey was distributed globally, however, this article dives into the results specifically from the U.S. and Canada. The North American version of the survey garnered several hundred responses from consumers ranging from 14 years old to over 75. It asked participants 16 questions about their shopping behaviors and preferences, and how their mobile device plays a role in the buying process.
Join the Conversation
What will you be shopping for this holiday season? Tweet us @AdColony. For the latest AdColony mobile news and updates, follow @AdColony on Twitter, like us on Facebook, or connect on Linkedin.
- Highlights from the AppsFlyer Performance Index & App Advertising Leaderboard - March 22, 2019
- Mobile Monday: The Rise of App Support & Google Gameplay - March 18, 2019
- Event Preview: White Nights Berlin - February 8, 2019