Mobile ad fraud continues to be a concern for app developers. As ad spending on mobile apps grows, so does digital ad fraud. While app developers are looking for companies they can trust, Adjust has proven themselves a worthy partner by sharing that they prevented 200 million fraudulent app installs in 2019 so far. Meanwhile, mobile gamers spent a record $69.7 million on their favorite titles during Black Friday. Read all about it in this week’s Mobile Monday!
Black Friday Mobile Game Revenue Up 25%
Analytics firm Sensor Tower reported that users spent $69.7 million on mobile games during Black Friday, setting a record for most revenue generated in a single day. Revenue from both Google Play and App Store went up 25% since Black Friday 2018 which had previously held the record at $55.8 million. The App Store made up most of the spending with $42.1 million or 60% of total revenue. Google Play accounted for the remaining 40% totaling $27.6 million.
Kabam’s Marvel Contest of Champions was the top-grossing mobile game in the U.S. during Black Friday and generated $2.7 million. This marks the game’s best single-day performance since July 7. Like many mobile games, Marvel Contest of Champions offered users in-game deals during the Thanksgiving weekend to take advantage of increased free time and generate higher earnings. Users will continue to be in a spending mindset through December leading up to holidays which may see more high spending on mobile games.
Adjust Saves $450 Million for Clients from Ad Fraud
Our mobile attribution partner, Adjust rejected approximately 200 million fraudulent app installs in 2019. According to their 2019 in review, preventing fraud saved their clients $450 million in ad spend and allowed them to reinvest their money into channels that deliver real value. Adjust was only able to catch these installs for those clients that activated fraud prevention filters so the actual number of fraudulent installs could be much higher than 200 million.
Adjust began focusing on its anti-fraud business in 2016 after it detected huge increases in fraud on mobile. Their Global Benchmarks data states that 43% of fraud activity is comprised of click injections. Meanwhile, 30% is accounted for by click spamming. Fake users and SDK spoofing make up 13% and 15% of fraud activity respectively. Adjust’s chief technology officer Paul Müller says their plan for 2020 is “to help keep the ecosystem honest and open through education and collaboration.”
About AdColony Mobile Mondays
Mobile Monday examines the latest news, trends, and developments in mobile apps, tech, and advertising. Do you have a story to share for the next Mobile Monday?
Join the Conversation
Did you play mobile games during Black Friday? Tweet us at @AdColony. For the latest AdColony mobile news and updates, follow @AdColony on Twitter, like us on Facebook, or connect on Linkedin.
- Mobile Monday: AppLovin’s Acquisition of MoPub, Record-breaking Estimates for Mobile Holiday Shopping, Winning Apps During Facebook’s Outage - October 11, 2021
- Mobile Monday: Advancement in Mobile Discovery, App Engagement and Spending Remain Elevated, Candy Crush Jelly Saga’s $500M Milestone - October 3, 2021
- Mobile Monday: The Device as its Own Walled Garden, Apple ATT’s Influence Over Ad Dollars, Hyper-casual Shifts to Hybrid-casual - September 27, 2021