Christmas is approaching quickly so consumers around the world are already preparing for the festivities. Since we do everything on our smartphones these days, it would only make sense that we would also do our gift shopping on our mobile devices as well. To better understand shoppers’ behavior and preferences, we conducted our annual Holiday Shopping Survey and gathered data from various regions around the world.
We previously looked at how shoppers in North America use their mobile devices for Christmas shopping. Now, we’re diving into the results from the United Kingdom! According to a recent research study from Deloitte, the U.K.’s smartphone adoption rate has reached 88% in 2019. Here are highlights from the study and be sure to download the full report!
Highlights from the Study
- Holiday shoppers in the U.K. tend to be older. — The majority of respondents (76%) who indicated they plan to go Christmas shopping were aged 45 and up.
- 35% of consumers use their smartphones over their desktop/laptops and tablets to make online purchases
- In comparison to using a desktop/laptop, 34% of consumers only use their smartphones to shop.
- Most respondents stated that mobile is as secure as desktop, leaving much room for improvement for mobile. Only 10% found mobile more secure, while 22% believed desktop was more secure.
- Although more users prefer shopping in-app versus in a browser, they still have to capture the many users (43%) that are still undecided about their preference.
- 64% of consumers would purchase something on their mobile device directly from an ad if the product was relevant to them
- When considering shopping experiences on a mobile device, consumers are most concerned with easy navigation in an app or online store and a smooth payment process.
- Most consumers (77%) prefer to use their mobile devices to purchase gifts.
Check out the infographic below for more great insights and click here to download the full report! Don’t forget to click on the infographic to open it full size!
About the Study
The AdColony Holiday Shopping Survey was distributed globally, however, this article dives into the results specifically from the U.K. The Christmas Shopping Survey garnered more than 450 responses from consumers in the U.K. ranging from 14 years old to over 75. It asked participants 16 questions about their shopping behaviors and preferences, and how their mobile device plays a role in the buying process.
Join the Conversation
What will you be shopping for this Christmas? Tweet us @AdColony. For the latest AdColony mobile news and updates, follow @AdColony on Twitter, like us on Facebook, or connect on Linkedin.
- Mobile Monday: Consumers Spent $143 billion on Mobile, Gaming to Surpass $120 billion in 2021 - January 17, 2021
- Success Story: UFC & User Engagement - January 14, 2021
- Mobile Monday: Mobile Games Earnings Up 10% in 2020, European Mobile Gamers Spend $36.6 Million on Christmas Day - January 10, 2021