Ramadan is a time of togetherness with family and friends for a month of religious observance and festivities. Asia is home to 62% of Muslims worldwide, with Malaysia and Indonesia accounting for more than 245 million Muslims who will be observing Ramadan and Eid Al-Fitr.
In our recent AdColony Coronavirus Impact Survey, we asked respondents in Malaysia and Indonesia a series of questions around their social activities and preparation for Ramadan to analyze behaviour changes during this period. Given the unique circumstances this year, many will choose to #StayHome, driving continued growth of mobile device and app usage during this period.
Highlights on Consumer Behavior this Ramadan
- More Downtime for Game Play – Mobile gaming continues to be consumers’ entertainment of choice during this Covid-19 period as we observed that 80% have higher mobile gaming frequencies, 46% have started to play a new game, and 34% are playing more games.
- 40% to Increase Online Spend for Ramadan – With lockdowns in place and people being encouraged to stay at home, eCommerce sales are expected to experience a boost as consumers expressed intentions to increase their spend online for Ramadan 2020.
- Faith Embracing Technology – In this digital age, many turn to technology to help manage their daily routine and Ramadan is no exception as 29% of consumers have downloaded an app in preparation for the Ramadan festival.
- 83% of Eyeballs on the Mobile While Watching TV – Consumers are increasingly merging their mobile devices with their environment and no longer need to sit through TV ads as they are now attuned to the various content options they have. Mobile is the top device of choice when it comes to multi-screening.
- 61% Plays Mobile Games While Multi-Screening – With the various content options available for consumers, majority of them chose to entertain themselves by playing their favorite mobile games. Mobile gaming took the top spot, followed by social media, networking and emails.
AdColony had conducted a consumer survey in January 2020 where we dived into the mobile and media consumption behavior during Ramadan. Mobile gaming and music streaming are the top preferred sources of entertainment, driving continued growth of mobile device and app usage during this period. Check out the infographic below for more insights. You may wish to download the Malaysia version as well.
About the Study
Mobile Gaming During Ramadan Survey asked people in Indonesia and Malaysia a series of questions about their smartphone and mobile gaming habits during Ramadan. The survey asked about preferred sources of entertainment, top game genres, and the average daily time spent.
Join the Conversation
Will you be playing mobile games during Ramadan? Tweet us @AdColony_APAC. For the latest AdColony mobile news and updates, follow @AdColony on Twitter, like us on Facebook, or connect on Linkedin.
- Creative Showcase: Bear Brand - June 24, 2021
- Gaming Fathers Audience Growth Set To Capture Brand Interest This Father’s Day 2021 - June 18, 2021
- Mobile Gaming Set to Dominate Ramadhan As We Continue To Stay Home - March 14, 2021